Professor Janaka Ekanayake holds a B.Sc.Eng degree from the
University of Peradeniya, Sri Lanka and PhD from the University
of Manchester Institute of Science and Technology, UK. He is
attached to the Department of Electrical and Electronic Engineering,
University of Peradeniya, Sri Lanka. He is also a Visiting Professor
at the Institute of Energy at Cardiff University, UK.
Professor Ekanayake is a Fellow of IEEE (USA), IET (UK),
and IESL (Sri Lanka). He is also recognised as an IEEE PES distinguished
lecturer (DLP). He is the only Sri Lankan to hold fellowships
of all three major electrical engineering professional bodies
and to join the list of 95 DLPs from around the world. He has
been a Royal Society and Commonwealth Fellow at the University
of Manchester Institute of Science and Technology, UK in 1997
His main research interests include renewable energy generation
and its integration and smart grids. He has published over 60
papers in refereed journals, more than 100 papers in conferences
and has also co-authored 7 books. The key books to which he
contributed are: Renewable Energy Engineering (2017), Cambridge
University Press; Smart Electricity Distribution Networks (2017),
CRC Press; Electric Power Systems (2012), Wiley; Smart Grid:
Technology and Applications (2012), Wiley; Distributed Generation
(2010), Institution of Engineering and Technology; and Wind
Energy Generation: Modelling and Control (2009) Wiley.
Professor Ekanayake's professional involvements include:
member of the Editorial Board of IEEE Transaction on Energy
Conversion, IET Renewable Energy journal, and Wind Engineering
journal. He was the Organising Vice Chairperson of the First
IEEE PES conference of Innovative Smart Grid Technologies (2012).
He has supervised 12 PhD students while at Cardiff University.
He is currently supervising 2 PhD students and 4 MPhil students.
Recent Key Publications
- Chinthaka Dinesh, Buddhika W. Nettasinghe, Roshan Indika Godaliyadda, Mervyn Parakrama B. Ekanayake, Janaka Ekanayake, and Janaka V. Wijayakulasooriya, "Residential Appliance Identification Based on Spectral Information of Low Frequency Smart Meter Measurements", IEEE Transactions on Smart Grid, Volume: 7, Issue: 6, Nov. 2016, pp 2781 – 2792, Digital Object Identifier 10.1109/TSG.2015.2484258
- Marouf Pirouti, Audrius Bagdanavicius, Jianzhong Wu, Nick Jenkins, Janaka Ekanayake, "Minimisation of the capital costs and energy usage in a district heating network", Journal of Power and Energy, Volume 229, Issue 3, pp 337-347.
- Mingshen Wang, Yunfei Mu, Hongjie; Jia, Jianzhong Wu, Xiuping Yao, Xiaodan Yu & Janaka Ekanayake, "A preventive control strategy for static voltage stability based on an efficient power plant model of electric vehicles", Journal of Modern Power Systems and Clean Energy, March 2015, Volume 3, Issue 1, pp 103-113.
- Silviu Nistora, Jianzhong Wu, Mahesh Sooriyabandara, Janaka Ekanayake, "Capability of Smart Appliances to Provide Reserve Services", Applied Energy, Volume 138, 15 January 2015, pp 590–597.
- Fazeli, M. ; Ekanayake, J.B. ; Holland, P.M. ; Igic, P., "Exploiting PV Inverters to Support Local Voltage: A Small-Signal Model", IEEE Transaction on Energy Conversion, Vol 29, Issue 2, June 2014, pp 453–462.
- Luke Livermore, Carlos E. Ugalde-Loo, Qing Mu, Jun Liang, Janaka B. Ekanayake, Nick Jenkins, "Damping of SSR using a VSC-HVDC Link in a Series Compensated GB Transmission Network", IET Generation, Transmission and Distribution, Vol 8, Issue 3, 2014, pp 542-551.
- Meysam Qadrdan, Jianzhong Wu , Nick Jenkins, Janaka Ekanayake, "Operating strategies for a GB Integrated Gas and Electricity network considering the uncertainty in wind power forecasts", IEEE Transaction on Sustainable Energy, Vol. 5, Issue 1, 2014, pp 128-138
- Kamalanath Samarakoon, Janaka Ekanayake, and Nick Jenkins, "Reporting Available Demand Response", IEEE Transaction on Smart Grid, 2013, Vol. 4, Issue 4, 2013, pp 1842 - 1851.
- John Licari, Janaka Ekanayake, and Nicholas Jenkins, "Investigation of a Speed Exclusion Zone to Prevent Tower Resonance in Variable-Speed Wind Turbines", IEEE Transaction on Sustainable Energy, Vol. 4, Issue 4, 2013, pp 977 – 984.
- Marouf Pirouti, Audrius Bagdanavicius, Janaka Ekanayake, Jianzhong Wu and Nick Jenkins, "Energy consumption and economic analyses of a district heating network", Energy, Volume 57, 1 August 2013, pp 149–159.
- Carlos E. Ugalde-Loo, Janaka B. Ekanayake, Nick Jenkins, Subsynchronous Resonance in a Series Compensated GB Transmission, IET Generation, Transmission & Distribution, Volume 7, Issue 3, March 2013, pp. 209 – 217.
- John Licari, Carlos E. Ugalde-Loo, Janaka Ekanayake, and Nicholas Jenkins, "Damping of Torsional Vibrations in a Variable Speed Wind Turbine", IEEE Energy Conversion, Energy Conversion, Vol 28, Issue 1, March 2013. pp 172 – 180.
- Yunfei Mu, Jianzhong Wu, Janaka Ekanayake, and Nick Jenkins, "Primary Frequency Response from Electric Vehicles in the Great Britain Power System", IEEE Transaction on Smart Grid, Vol. 4, Issue 2, June 2013, pp. 1142 – 1150.
- Carlos E Ugalde-Loo, Jun Liang, Janaka Ekanayake and Nick Jenkins, "State-Space Modelling of Variable-Speed Wind Turbines for Power System Studies", IEEE Transaction on Industrial Application Society, Vol 49, No. 1, 2013, pp 223-231.
- Kamalanath Samarakoon, Janaka Ekanayake, and Nick Jenkins, "Investigation of Domestic Load Control to Provide Primary Frequency Response Using Smart Meters", IEEE Transaction on Smart Grid, Vol 3, Issue 1, March 2012, pp 282-292.
- Jun Liang, Tianjun Jing, Oriol Gomis-Bellmunt, Janaka Ekanayake, and Nicholas Jenkins, "Operation and Control of Multi-Terminal HVDC Transmission for Offshore Wind Farms", Vol 26, Issue 4, IEEE Power Delivery, 2011, pp 2596 - 2604.
- Oriol Gomis-Bellmunt, Jun Liang, Janaka Ekanayake and Nicholas Jenkins, "Topologies of Multiterminal HVDC-VSC transmission for large offshore wind farms", Electric Power Systems Research, Vol. 81, Issue 2, February 2011, pp 271-281.
- Oriol Gomis-Bellmunt, Jun Liang, Janaka Ekanayake and Nicholas Jenkins, Voltage-Current characteristics of multi-terminal HVDC-VSC for offshore wind farms, Electric Power Systems Research, Vol. 81, Issue 2, February 2011, pp 440-450.
- Meysam Qadrdan, Modassar Chaudry, Jianzhong Wu, Nick Jenkins and Janaka Ekanayake, "Impact of a large penetration of wind generation on the GB gas network", Energy Policy, Volume 38, Issue 10, October 2010, Pages 5684-5695.
- Bieshoy Awad, Janaka Ekanayake, and Nick Jenkins, "Intelligent load control for frequency regulation in MicroGrids", Intelligent Automation and Soft Computing, Vol. 16, No. 2, pp. 303-318, 2010.