Download APQRC Brochure (PDF, 3.04 Mb)
The Australian Power Quality & Reliability Centre (APQRC) at the University of Wollongong, Australia, is a nationally and internationally recognised centre of excellence which supports research, education and consulting in distribution and transmission system power quality, reliability and renewable energy systems.
The Power Quality & Reliability Centre was established in 1996 through a joint agreement between the University of Wollongong and Integral Energy. Since then industry has continued to support the Power Quality & Reliability Centre contributing more than $4 million of sponsorship funds.
The focus of the APQRC is to work in conjunction with industry to improve the quality and reliability of electricity supply for the benefit of all consumers. This focus is achieved through education (undergraduate, postgraduate and continuing), research and consulting activities. APQRC staff are active on a number of peak industry bodies and standards organisations. These include Standards Australia, IEC (International Electrotechnical Commission) and CIGRE (International Council on Large Electric Systems) working groups and the Energy Network Association (ENA).
Mr Sean Elphick
Australian Power Quality & Reliability Centre
University of Wollongong
Northfields Avenue, Wollongong
NSW 2522 Australia
+61 2 42214737
+61 2 42213236
The expertise of the APQRC is made available to industry to provide advice and power quality consultancy services. The APQRC has extensive power quality consulting experience and has been engaged by some of Australia's largest manufacturing companies and electricity utilities.
The APQRC provides expert advice and consulting in the following specific areas:
- Investigation and resolution of power quality problems
- Power quality monitoring for compliance with standards and regulations including harmonic and flicker studies
- Harmonic and flicker allocation and planning level studies
- Voltage sag studies
- Interpretation and implementation of power quality standards
- Routine power quality monitoring
- Power quality data compression, analysis and reporting
- General power monitoring
- Equipment power quality immunity testing to national and international standards
- Conducted electromagnetic interference (EMI)
- Distribution system reliability
- Renewable energy systems integration and power quality
The Centre has provided consultancy services to the following organisations:
- Aurora Energy
- Ausgrid (formerly EnergyAustralia)
- Australia Post
- BHP Billiton
- Blue Circle Southern Cement
- Bluescope Steel
- Boyne Smelters
- CHK Engineering
- Country Energy
- Endeavour Energy (formerly Integral Energy)
- Ergon Energy
- Genesis Energy (NZ)
- Metal Manufacturers
- NSW Fair Trading
- Rheem Australia
- SA Power Networks (formerly ETSA)
- SP AusNet
- Standards Australia
- Transend Networks
- Tycan Australia
- United Energy
- Western Power
The APQRC runs regular training courses. These courses include:
- Technically detailed courses in the areas of power quality, reliability, energy efficiency and renewable energy for professional engineers and technical staff.
- Awareness courses for senior management.
- Review courses for engineering managers.
Upcoming courses are:
Energy Storage Course
This course will mainly focus on battery energy storage applications covering the following topics:
29-30 November 2018, University of Wollongong
Energy Storage Course (490 KB)
By attending the course, you will gain knowledge and skills to assist you to:
Who should attend?
Any individual who is interested or requires better understanding of the capabilities of battery energy storage systems, their advantages and disadvantages and how they can best be integrated into the electricity networks of the future .
To register please click on the link below: