Professor of Power Engineering
Phone: +61 2 4221 4918
Fax: +61 2 4221 3236
Danny Sutanto received his B.Eng. and Ph.D. from
Following his graduation he joined GEC Projects,
His main areas of research are power system analysis, power system economics, voltage stability, harmonics, power electronics and computer aided education.
He has published numerous papers in the areas of electromagnetic transient analysis, power system analysis, voltage instability, design of harmonic filters, FACTS, Battery Energy Storage Systems, computer aided teaching systems, power system expansion planning, electrical machines and power electronics, in total over 170 papers.
He was awarded the N. Svennson's Award for
Teaching Excellence in the Faculty of Engineering in 1994. In 2000, he was
awarded the HK Polytechnic
University President’s Award for Outstanding Performance in Teaching.
He has extensive consultancy experience both in
While at the
He was appointed as the
Regional Representative of the Power Engineering Society of the
He has been invited to be the members of International Advisory Board for several international conferences. He is also a member of the International Editorial Advisory panel of the International Journal “Electric Power Systems Research”.
2) Asheibi, A., Stirling, A,, and SUTANTO, D., Analyzing Harmonic Monitoring Data using Supervised and Unsupervised Learning., Paper ID: TPWRD-00394-2007, IEEE Transactions on Power Delivery, Vol. 24, No. 1, pp. 293-201, January 2009.
3) Divakar, B.P.; Cheng, K.W.E.; SUTANTO, D., “Zero-Voltage and Zero-Current Switching Buck-Boost Converter with Low Voltage and Current Stresses”, IET Power Electronics, Volume 1, Issue 3, September 2008 pp.:297 - 304
4) XD. Xue, KWE. Cheng, D. SUTANTO. “A study of the status and future of superconducting magnetic energy storage in power systems.” SUPERCONDUCTOR SCIENCE & TECHNOLOGY, Volume 19, Issue 6, pp. R31-R39, 2006
5) XD. Xue, KWE. Cheng, D. SUTANTO, “Unified mathematical modeling of steady-state and dynamic voltage-current characteristics for PEM fuel cells.” ELECTROCHIMICA ACTA, Volume 52, Issue 3, pp. 1135-1144, 2006
Lai, T.M.; Snider,
7) Jun L, SUTANTO, D., Cheng KWE, Xu DH, “A Multi-module hybrid converter for high temperature superconducting Magnetic Energy Storage System (HT-SMES)”, IEEE Trans. Power Delivery, Volume 20, Issue 1, pp: 475-480, Jan 2005.
8) Yeung, Y.P.B.; Cheng, K.W.E.; Ho, S.L.; Law, K.K.; SUTANTO, D., “Unified analysis of switched-capacitor resonant converters”, IEEE Transactions on Industrial Electronics, Volume 51, Volume : 4, pp.:864 – 873, Aug. 2004.
9) Aware, M, SUTANTO, D., “SMES for Protection of Distributed Critical Loads”, IEEE Transaction on Power Delivery, Volume: 19, Issue :3, pp:1267 – 1275, July 2004.
10) Cheng, K.W.E.; Yan Lu; Kai-Yu Tong; Rad, A.B.; Chow, D.H.K.; SUTANTO, D.;, “Development of a circuit for functional electrical stimulation”, IEEE Transactions on Neural Systems and Rehabilitation Engineering, Volume: 12, Issue: 1, March 2004 pp. 43 - 47, March 2004.
11) Cheng K.W.E, Chan H.L. and SUTANTO, D., “Development of a superconducting transformer using self-resonant techniques for DC/DC power conversion”, IEE Proceedings – Electric Power Applications, vol. 151, No. 3, pp. 299-302, 2004.
12) Leung, K.K., SUTANTO, D., “A Storage Power Flow Controller (SPFC) using Battery Storage”, IEE (U.K.) Proceedings- Generation, Transmission and Distribution, Vol. 150, No. 6, Nov. 2003, pp. 727-735.
13) Chan, H.L. Chan, Cheng, K.W.E., SUTANTO, D. "Calculation of Inductances of High Frequency Air-core Transformers with Superconductor Windings for DC-DC Converters". IEE Proceedings-Electric Power Applications, Vol. 150, No. 4, pp.447-454, July 2003.
Chan, H.L., Cheng, K.W.E., SUTANTO, D.
"ZCS-ZVS Bi-directional Phase-Shifted DC-DC Converter with
15) Aware, M, SUTANTO, D., “Improved Controller for Power Conditioner using High Temperature Super Conducting Magnetic Energy Storage (HTS-SMES)”, IEEE Transactions on Applied Superconductivity, IEEE Transaction on Applied Superconductivity, Vol. 13, No. 1, pp.38-47, March 2003.
16) Yeung, Y.P.B., Cheng, K.W.E., SUTANTO, D., and Ho, S.L., “Zero-current switching switched-capacitor quasi-resonant step-down converter”, IEE Proceedings – Electr. Power Applications, Vol 149, Issue 02, pp. 111-121, March 2002.
17) Yeung, Y.P.B., Cheng, K.W.E., Ho, S.L,, SUTANTO, D., “Generalised analysis of switched-capacitor step-down quasi-resonant converter”, IEE Electronics Letters, Vol 38, Issue 6, pp. 263-264, March 2002.
18) Yeung, Y.P.B., Cheng, K.W.E., SUTANTO, D., “Investigation of multiple output operation for switched-capacitor resonant converters”, Int.J. Cct Theory & App, Vol. 40, Issue 4, pp. 411-423, March 2002.
19) Cheng, K.W.E., Wang, H.Y., SUTANTO, D. “Adaptive Directive Neural Network Control For Three-Phase AC/DC PWM Converter”, IEE Proceedings-Electr. Power Applications, Vol. 148, No. 5, pp. 425-430, Sep 2001.
20) Cheng, K.W.E, Chan, H.L., SUTANTO, D., “Phase Shift controlled dc-dc converter with bi-directional power flow”, IEE Proc. Electr. Power Applications., Vol. 148, No. 2, pp.193-201, March 2001.
21) Yeung, Y.P.B.; Cheng, K.W.E., SUTANTO, D., “Zero-current switching fixed frequency resonant-transition square wave converters”, IEE Proceedings Electric Power Applications ,Volume: 148, Issue: 6, pp:475 – 480, Nov. 2001
22) Divakar, B.P. and SUTANTO, D., “Novel topologies for DC-DC converter with PWM control" IEEE International Journal of Electronics,, Vol. 87, No. 6, pp 741-756, June 2000.
23) Cheng, K.W.E. and SUTANTO, D., “The impact of electronic ballast on fluorescent lamps”, Building Journal, pp. 75-77, May 2000.